President George W. Bush's Dog Barney Passes Away

Barney-001

President Bush and Barney.

We are very sad to bring you the news that Barney the Scottish Terrier, who spent eight years at the White House With President George W. Bush, has died.

Our condolensces to the Bush Family. It’s always so hard when you lose a furry family member.

Below is a statement by President George W. Bush on the passing of Barney Bush.

Laura and I are sad to announce that our Scottish Terrier, Barney, has passed away. The little fellow had been suffering from lymphoma and after twelve and a half years of life, his body could not fight off the illness.

Barney and I enjoyed the outdoors. He loved to accompany me when I fished for bass at the ranch. He was a fierce armadillo hunter. At Camp David, his favorite activity was chasing golf balls on the chipping green.

Barney guarded the South Lawn entrance of the White House as if he were a Secret Service agent. He wandered the halls of the West Wing looking for treats from his many friends. He starred in Barney Cam and gave the American people Christmas tours of the White House. Barney greeted Queens, Heads of State, and Prime Ministers. He was always polite and never jumped in their laps.

Barney was by my side during our eight years in the White House. He never discussed politics and was always a faithful friend. Laura and I will miss our pal.

Barney-and-Miss-Beazley

President Bush and his wife, Laura with their two Scottish terriers, Barney and Miss Beazley.

Barney at the Podium.

Barney at the Podium.

Comments

Couldn’t hate a man that loved his dog so much (despite being the polar opposite politically…) and as a former Scottie mama, I adore the breed. I still mourn my little Gracie and she passed in 2007. RIP Barney.

Awwwww…..I am so very sorry President and Mrs Bush. I know how much my dog means to me and she’s like a family member. I’ve had many dogs in the past and each one gave me unconditional love……the purest of all loves. Please know that I will pray for you both that you may find solace and peace in knowing that you gave to sweet Barney, as he gave to you. God Bless!

3. valerie robertson says

Aaaww bless, my little king Charles is my baby and a part of my family, I can only imagine how they are feeling having lost Barney…….hugs xx

• Margaret says

My heart felt sorrow for President George W.Bush and First Lady Laura Bush. I miss you and Barney in the White House! I always watched the Barney cams just to make me smile. He was quite a dog and friend. May he find happiness on the other side!

4. Mary Stoll says

I am so very very sorry about Barney. He was a beautiful doggie and he loved you all very much. He is happy over the Rainbow bridge and will be waiting there for all of the Bush family when they cross over the Bridge. R.I.P. Barney and Prayers to the Bush family.

I always enjoyed Barney’s tours and the Barney CAM. Not only do I miss his owners, Barney too will be missed, but I am sure he is chasing armadillos over the Rainbow Bridge. Thanks for sharing Barney with all of us. Your German Shorthaired Pointer friends in TX will miss you.

6. Tammy Jo says

So very sorry to hear of Barney’s passing. RIP sweetie! I so enjoyed the Barney cam and his Christmas tours!

7. Mrs. Barnes says

I am truly sorry for your loss! I lost my sweet Lucille on 1/31/12! She was a schanauzer and lost lived through the loss of my husband and her “daddy”. She helped me when I needed her and then went to be with him.

8. D. King says

Dear President and Mrs. Bush,
    I am so sorry to learn you lost your beloved Barney. Our pets become so much a part of our family when we lose them we grieve as we would any family member.
    Thank you, however, for sharing Barney with our nation during your years in the White House.

D. King

Barney had a wonderful life and caring “parents” with you, Mr. President and Mrs. Bush. I am saddened by your loss. I know he will be waiting for you on the other side of the bridge where you can once again play and re-connect.

10. Democratic Craig says

Not a fan of President Bush but my hear goes out to him for the loss of his dog. I recently lost my lab and I can sympathize. It is horrible to lose your best friend. Thoughts and prayers are with you George.

11. Leslie Ann Nick says

I am so very, very sorry of the passing of Barney! He was was so cute and such a loyal friend and family member! Barney and the Bush family is in my prayers! And yes this country misses you!