Dog Saves Family From Bear Attack In Canada

Canadian Dog Bear Attack

A family dog is being hailed a hero after she clashed with a full-grown black bear in Winnipeg, Canada earlier this week.

Sandi Cross says 13-year-old “Sassy” likely saved her life early Tuesday morning outside the family cottage.

“I truly believe that if Sassy hadn’t gone out when she did … the bear would have attacked me when I went out,” Cross said. “She’s my little hero.”

Cross was getting ready to leave the cottage around 6 a.m., when Sassy, a pound mutt, wanted to go outside.

“She took off across the deck … then all of a sudden turned around and was coming back in,” Cross said.

Moments later, Cross was horrified to see a large black bear attacking her dog.

“The bear dragged Sassy … further away from the door, so then I could come out,” Cross said. “I was screaming and yelling and I thought that would scare the bear.”

But the bear didn’t let go.

“I thought Sassy was being killed. I thought she was just going to be ripped to shreds,” she said.

Eventually Cross, her husband and son were able to scare the bear off and Sassy managed to get inside.

Sassy suffered deep wounds to her neck and is taking antibiotics and painkillers at home.

“At this point, we don’t want to put her through the whole major surgery and anesthetic … We think that’s hard on her and extremely expensive,” Cross said.

Story by Elaine Furst for Dog Files

Comments

1. Nan Owen19 says

This is a wonderful story! God bless Sassy. However, I wish the woman hadn’t mentioned how “expensive” more intensive treatment would be for poor Sassy, especially after she just praised her for saving her life.

• says

I hear you, but, I have two comments. One – she first said, ” we don’t want to put her through the whole major surgery and anesthetic … We think that’s hard on her”. The dog is 13 and as dogs age, putting them under is a bit more dangerous. My second comment has to do with the price. Some of us really can’t do it. It’s not that we don’t want to. My husband and I took in 5 pit bulls even though we couldn’t ‘afford’ it. At one point, one of them needed to go to the vet on an emergency basis. That was the rent money and we were then kicked out. Any idea how hard it is to rent with 5 pits?

I’m just saying there is usually more than meets the eye so I’d rather focus on how wonderful Sassy is.

2. Gotmail says

Please do an update on this story and tell us what happened to the dog.  I think it is wonderful that the dog saved her life, but why wouldn’t she get her medical treatment??  That is cruel!!!

3. Canukbilly_1 says

I cannot believe this woman actually said the above comment……..I agree it would have been expensive….but…..some how some way I would have found a way to help that poor dog….after all…Sassy put her life in a situation for her human mom.

4. Louis says

Goodness…..get the dog the proper medical treatment.  I’m sorry that I read this article now, it’s just upsetting!

5. Sherri Garrity says

Sometimes comments are taken out of context. She also mentions the concern over anaesthetic and surgery. It doesn’t say she chose to not have needed surgery because of cost.

6. Lucy says

Get the opinion of at least 2 good vets.  If they feel surgery is needed than please do it.  If you need funds I’m sure everyone could chip in what they could.  Sassy is a beautiful soul and GOD Bless her!