Lab killed by two dogs

Owners of a mauled dog say they are happy the owner of the other dogs is finally taking responsibility.

The owner of four large Newfoundland dogs that mauled and killed a smaller Labrador Retriever at a Connecticut park last week has been arrested.

Vicaie Tkacz (pronounced Vicky Kach), 37, of Oxford, Connecticut turned herself in to the Oxford Resident Trooper’s Office on Friday. She was charged with two counts of failure to quarantine, obstruction of an investigation by an animal control officer, four counts of a roaming dog and four counts of a nuisance dog.

Police said on Tuesday night, her four dogs were being walked by teenagers who had trouble controlling the dogs. Pat Severson, 20, meanwhile was walking his 11-year-old black Labrador Retriever, “Roxy,” when at least two of the Newfoundland dogs attacked them. Severson said he has bruises on his hands from hitting the dogs, trying to make them stop mauling Roxy, and was bit by one of the dogs. He is taking rabies shots as a precaution.

Pat Severson’s father, Jim Severson, said the family had been upset that the dog owner was evading her responsibilities by not turning herself into police.

“We’re pleased she is now doing the responsible thing, and whatever situation she has caused, she’s going to have to deal with it now, and we’re hopeful justice will be served,” he said. “We’re dealing with a personal loss here and this doesn’t change that. But I’m glad she came to her senses and is taking care of the things she should have been taking care of all along.”

All four of the Newfoundland dogs, which Tkacz breeds, have been quarantined and are being held at the Oxford Animal Control office.

Oxford Resident Trooper Sgt. Dan Semosky said the case is now closed. He gives credit not only to his office but also the Oxford and state animal control offices for their help.?He said the office has had other complaints about Tkacz and her dogs, but never one this extreme.

“This is a very sad case,” he said.

Tkacz has been released on a $5,000 bond and is scheduled to be arraigned on August 18.

Story by Elaine Furst for Dog Files