Stray Pit Bull Saves Woman, Child From Attacker

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. — The wandering 65-pound Pit Bull mix might have seemed menacing to some passerby, but one woman will always remember him as her “guardian angel.”

The dog, which authorities think is lost and not a stray, successfully thwarted a robbery attack on a mother and her 2-year-old son, who were held at knifepoint Monday afternoon.

The Florida woman, who has been identified by authorities simply as “Angela,” was leaving a playground with her toddler son in Port Charlotte when a man approached her in the parking lot with a knife and told her not to make any noise or sudden movements.

Angela didn’t have to do either to protect herself and her child — a dog mysteriously ran to the scene and charged the man, who quickly fled.

“I don’t think the dog physically attacked the man, but he went at him and was showing signs of aggression, just baring his teeth and growling and barking. It was clear he was trying to defend this woman,” Animal Control Lt. Brian Jones told Pet Pulse.

“I don’t know what this man’s intentions were, but it is very possible this dog saved her life.”

The exceptional part of the story, Jones said, is that the dog had never met or even seen the people it quickly jumped to defend.

“You hear about family dogs protecting their owners, but this dog had nothing to do with this woman or her kid,” Jones said. “He was like her guardian angel.”

After the alleged thief ran away, Angela quickly placed her son, Jordan, in the car and tried to drive off. Before she could, though, the dog jumped into her backseat, waiting with her for the police and animal control officers to arrive at the scene.

The dog was transported to a local shelter and if his owners don’t step forward within five days, Jones said, Angela and her family plan to adopt the savior she named “Angel.”

Animal control officers and shelter workers believe Angel is lost, and not a stray, because of his good health, sturdy weight and mild temperament.

“It’s funny, that someone’s irresponsibility could have saved someone’s life,” Jones said of Angel’s possible owners.

For Angela, it doesn’t matter where the dog came from, just that he was there when she needed him most.

“I don’t know what his [the thief's] intentions were — I don’t know why he did it, but I’m glad that — we call him Angel — I’m glad that Angel showed up because I don’t know what would have happened,” Angela told NBC2 News.

Comments

1. Annelemieux says

Thank you for this story…People need to see what this wonderful breed is capable of. I am glad this lady intends to adopt Angel. He deserves a good home. I hope he is always loved.

• Josh12477 says

i agree fully, to many times the media makes the pitbull the bad apple, they libel them as the most aggressive dogs. this is complete bullbutter. i had a pitbull until a few days ago when someone decided to take vengance against my dog for someoneelses dog being shot. my dog was innocent as am i, yet my dog was taken. missy was a beautiful solid white with black sots around both eyes. i find it sad and disheartining that some people have vengance in there hearts to the point that they are willing to harm an innocent mans dog. i dont forsee my missy returning home. she was a very loyal, and loving pitbull. she was protective of my wife and children, she loved my children to pieces. bout a week before she came up missing, we had her in the house do to a major blizzard. if it was nice out, she liked being outside, but if it got cold we brought her in. i can remember the week before she disappeared, she was giving my 4 year old doggy rides throughout the house. it was a great sight to see, my pit was playing with my children like she did when we first got her, she wasnt rough then, and she never has been rough. ITS ALL IN HOW YOU RAISE THE DOG. IF YOU RAISE IT TO BE MEAN IT WILL BE MEAN NO MATTER THE BREED. IF YOU RAISE IT WITH LOVE, IT WILL BE A VERY LOVING AND LOYAL DOG NO MATTER THE BREED. WHAT VERY FEW PEOPLE DO KNOW ABOUT PITBULLS IS THAT THEYRE LOYALTY AND BONDS ARE HARD TO BREAK. ONCE A PITBULL IS BONDED WITH SOMEONE, THAT DOG WILL NOT BOND WITH ANYONE ELSE. THERE LOYALTY IS UNMEASURABLE UNTIL YOU SEE IT FOR YOURSELF. A 65LB PIT CAN CHANGE ANYONES MIND BOUT BREAKING INTO A HOUSE. THEY ARE A FAR BETTER ALARM SYSTEM THAN ADT. god i miss her………… whereever you are missy, I LOVE YOU GIRL.. my girls are broken hearted i havent told them what i suspect happened. i just told them missy got out of the yard.

• DaneRay says

I am so, so, so, so sorry that your Missy is missing. It would be wonderful if she were returned to you, and I hope and pray that will happen. I know how devastated your entire family must be. Cold, heartless people don’t realize how much our beloved pets mean to us and how they are a large part of our families. I think you did the right thing in telling your girls that Missy got out. They are still young and don’t need to have their world torn apart by realizing how nasty people can be … they’ll learn that later in life … they don’t need to have that lesson right now. Know that Missy and all of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Prissyann1 says

Mr. Josh…. I can only emagine what your family must be going through. It’s another child… I have had animals all my life… my father raised German Shepards then Rotties. Him and I always use to protect other animals in need… many times from the dogs owners. True statement… a dog will be what you make him in to. My Father use to say a dog is as smart or dumb as his owner. I love Pits… my son rescued one and Remi is his baby girl. She is so sweet tempered and loving. I will pray for you, your family and Missy. Whatever you do don’t stop searching for her. Look up local pit rescues, Make the policw department aware of her being missing. If they raid a dog fight… the picture you give them may lead her back to you. You have nothing without Hope..

• Jrmcmullin says

I apologize for your loss Josh. I’ve had pits and know that this breed doesn’t deserve the reputation it has. It’s the morons who own them. We had a sign in the vet office I worked in and it said “there’s no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners”. I don’t know how old your girls are, but your decision is probably wise. How do you explain that to a child?

• Jrmcmullin says

I would also point out that I’m glad the media chose a to share a good story instead of just the bad ones.

• Suemccullough says

I sure hope you all find Missy. I hope that what you suspect hasn’t happened. Some folks are very cold hearted and don’t give a hoot and that’s extremely sad.

• Suemccullough says

• Rrslack48 says

Josh, so very sorry to hear about your Missy :- {  !!! I know how you feed ! I Lost my Sidney a few years back, when she passed, she was the joy of my life ! Anyway, yes, it is such a blessing when the media puts out the positive aspects of Pitties, instead of always the negative !

• Holly says

Josh, I am so very sorry to hear about your Missy and know what you are going through.  I lost a wonderful dog due to mistaken identity by a local farmer back in 1978 and it still breaks my heart and we had to put our 13 1/2 year old Westie to rest this past August after having to move away from the only real home she knew so my husband could find work. Our hearts rebreak almost daily with missing our Sady!  I pray for a safe and quick return for your Missy.  If you are a believer then you know that regardless of what happens…. justice will be served  – tenfold!

• Iriekennels says

Sorry to hear about Missy – I truly believe ( and preach! to everyone I know) that ALL DOGS SHOULD BE JUDGED ON THEIR OWN MERITS … Just like people.  Not by the breed, the size, or the color of (our) skin!  Good luck

• says

So true..have you seen the picture making the rounds of facebook. The one that has a picture of a pitbull with the words ‘In the 70′s it was the german shepard, in the 80′s it was the Doberman, in the 90′s it was the Rottweiler and now it’s me. When are we going to blame the PEOPLE instead of the breed?’

• guest says

the media doesn’t “make the pitbull the bad apple”, bad owners do.  In this particular case it helped that the pitbull has a strong reputation.  Had a poodle or spaniel done the same thing the attacker might not have backed down so hastily.  But I agree that pits can be wonderful dogs and it truly is nice to see this story printed that shows that side of them too.

• Drhyce says

I am sorry for Missy being gone. If you can post a picture, I am on a network of dog rescuers and we can help spread the word to look out for her! Did you check the dog shelters? Go as soon as possible because they like to euthanize pitbulls fast. Also, put an free lost  ad on craigslist with her picture and maybe someone will recognize it and bring her home.

• Guest says

I’m sorry to hear about your dog, but i do have to tell you that you are dead wrong about a pit bull being able to bond again.  My pit bull has bonded with at least 3 families.  He was first my best friend’s dad’s dog, who passed away and he was with his body for almost a week.  After that my best friend took him in and he also bonded to him as he had his father.  When he was no longer able to keep him due to moving i took him in, and he has sure bonded with me and my wife.  In fact he has also bonded with my wife’s mother who used to be afraid of pit bulls but now requests for him to spend the night with her at least once a week.

• Guest says

• Hector's momma says

I wish my Hector, could have met your lady, they sound to been a lot alike. Hector is fun, he loves kids, water, snow balls..lol (this is his first winter he was shocked at first, like who made a mess…lol.now he’s silly in it) my granddaughter was playing in the tub, I hear her yell “Get out,Hectors in my water” I think he thinks the 2 kids are puppy’s. fun time 24/7….lmao.they ride him and everything, and there 3 & 4 years old. Lol…don’t let people stop you get 2 more….I tell everyone Hectors a ill boy in a puppy suit, he’s our baby.

• MontaS says

I am really sorry to hear of the loss of your pet and yet, dogs are what their owners make them. I would consider filing charges against the person who shot your pet if you know who it was.

• Frank johnson says

i totally agree, pitt bulls are a very loyal bread,i have one she is the most loving dog!! has never shown any sign of aggressive behavior, people it is not the dogs who are bad it is the person raising it!!!! any dog can be a mean and bight if thats what you teach it!! i show my dogs nothing but love and kindness,and they give it back!!

• jon says

I have 2 dogs husky/wolf mix…They are kinda like a pit. they arer loving and kids even ride them. But if someone tried to borther them or come in the house anytime they would not leave..LOL Don’t lock my doors anymore & I live in town…its really true they are loving but do not like strangers period, but as long as I am or someone in the family is there no problems..jes sayin

• Katie says

We once adopted a 3-year-old rednosed pitbull (Boo) from the local pound. Whoever had her before us taught her to be gentle. She was so friendly that she even made friends with the dogcatcher who tried to take her from us. The only times she was even mildly aggressive: when we took her for a ride in the car and when she was with me at the ATM.

Boo even helped an Akita who was staying with us for a bit. Seems Lobo’s human didn’t treat the poor dog well, and Boo helped him see that her family loved dogs.

We brought in a long-haired Akita pup (Bambi), who became Boo’s best buddy (once Boo understood that Bambi was staying). When Boo had to be put down, Bambi moped. She then brought up the rednosed pitbull pup who came into our family (Boo-tu).

Not bad, for two dogs who are considered to be ‘dangerous dogs’ by insurance companies (Boo and Bambi also got on TV once because of that).

• Ataglieri says

Everybody says that don’t judge a book by its cover, but why do they judge a dog by its breed and not the dog’s owner?

• Carrollsammy68 says

As a owner of two pit bulls. I am very glad to see a good outlook of the breed.Mine are the two friendly, and fun loving pets my family has ever had. I wont have any other kind.and if you dont like pitty you wont make a good owner and dont deserve one anyway. Sammy

• Deborahbotkin says

I am a retired vet tech and this story brought tears to my eyes. people dont know how smart and loving pets are. They are there for us more than we are them. I have three rescues and they give everyday to me and I them. So for all of you out there THEY ARE HERE TO GIVE TO US SO GIVE TO THEM 100 PERCENT PLEASE MINE ARE SPOILDED they have a doggie door and sleep with me and have food and water 24×7. I do thier nails weekly and comb and bathe them and they love me and protect me. My Sunnie knew the morning we had an earthquake that something was up and was going crazy crying and running around the house then 10 mins later there was an earthquake.She also let me know there was something wrong with my face always wanting to lick it so I went to a doctore and I had face cancer and we got it cleared up because of Sunnie so remember animals know more than we do. I love them and will protect mine and others i see out there. GOD BLESS THE ANIMALS.
                                                                 Deb

2. Tammy says

This dog does deserve a great home!! I hope some people read this and realize not all pitt bulls are mean just raised wrong. Thanks for the heart warming story.

• Mindiashull says

I agree! It’s all in how they are raised. That goes for any animal! I have a pit and she is a wonderful dog and great with my kids!

• DaneRay says

Katerperez, in this case, you could be “stealing” the dog. What if it were from a nearby home and escaped to help this woman? While I understand the emotional connection/bond, imagine the distraught owners (especially) children that might miss their beloved pet because you “stole” it? Calling the shelter is the legal and responsible thing to do. The woman can always adopt it if unclaimed. HOWEVER, *I* would take the dog and advertise it myself IF AND ONLY IF the local shelter were one that did not adopt pit types ever other than to return strays to original owners. Other than that, I’d have to do what’s ethical, moral, and legal.

• Patricia Dyar says

The problem with advertising a found stray pitt bull is the fact that a stranger might claim it with bad intentions.  I would keep an eye on the newspaper to see if someone advertises a missing pitt bull matching this dog’s descriptions, but advertising the dog as a lost dog, looking for its owner is just asking for some idiot that is looking for a pitt bull with the idea of using it for fighting.  There are a lot of cruel animal abusers in this world.

• says

While I understand your desire to protect the dog due to breed desirability to someone without good intentions, there are some very good ways to ensure that the dog actually DOES belong to the person claiming it.  One, ask for photos.  Two, ask for vet records.  Three, ask for adoption paperwork.  If they cannot produce any one of those things don’t hand over the dog.  Pretty simple.

3. Elsieredman says

this story is rather old, at least several months. and while i love the story, i would rather have an update on the dog and if this woman ended up adopting him! Pit Bulls Rule.

4. Janette Hamilton says

Most people do not realize that this type of behavior is normal for a pit bull that has been raised right. My Dad raised Staffordshire Terriers another breed affected by breed bans, and they were the most wonderful gentle protective dogs in the world.

• Ldhennin says

Staffordshire Terriers and ‘Pitbulls’ are actually the same breed. Pitbull is a nickname that caught on. Look it up on the AKC site. My son has a wonderful pitbull but we always told people he was a staffordshire terrier so they wouldn’t immediately be afraid.
      I agree that MOST of them when raised properly are loving, protective and safe but, like with any breed, you will find some that are nasty and those should not be bred. My son had one that was the sweetest thing until he was about 10 months and he had to be put down. Sad but necessary.

• Lc says

Pitbulls are not the same as staffordshire bull terriers. Over there in america you have american staffordshire bull terriers – very different.

• Joseagosto1217 says

staffordshire bull terriers, american stafordshire terriers, american pit bull terriers & just ur all around pit bull whether its black nose, blue nose, chocolate, or red nose are all the same… different bloodlines to produce a different look but they r all the same breed! like american, german, irish, russian, ect.. they’re all white.. just different features 2 distinguish them.. sum red hair, sum blonde, some big noses sum small, sum tall sum short sum muscular sum slim… lol pit bull is a nick name for the breed like “white” is the nickname for a race!! & plz dont take it the wrong way.. i use race as a ex. becuz its easier for people to understand.. like the breed ban.. its the same as prejudice!! and by law it is against the constituion to descriminate base on race.. the breed ban against pitbulls is the american version of a natzi war on jewish!!

• says

Pit Bulls(APBT) are not the same as Staffordshire Terriers although there is some debate about this. It is generally understood that the Staffordshire Terrier and Pit Bull were seperated from the same breed about 60-70 years ago. Staffordshire Terriers are more chest heavy and are considered a show dog. The gameness, the most important characteristic of a Pit Bull has been bread out of Staffordshire Terriers. A Pit Bull is still a working class dog with more emphasis on power in the hind quarters. Someone without specific breed knowledge would probably not be able to tell them apart.

• says

A “Pit Bull” is not a breed, an American Pit Bull Terrier, Stafforshire Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and the American Bull Terrier are all breeds that are generically called “Pit Bulls” but “Pit Bull isn’t an actual breed of dog. Places all over the world have different views on what breeds make up a “Pit Bull” (and in a lot of places with bans it only has to do with looks). But a Pit Bull is not a breed, and here in the US a Staffie is a Pit Bull.

• Old Bulldogger says

Rubbish. Pit Bulls are APBTs regardless of what any ignorant people anywhere call any other breed or type. AmStaffs(American Staffordshire Terriers) are from the same bloodlines but bred separately for decades resulting in a separate breed. AmStaffs aren’t Pits even if they’re dual registered. Pit Bulls come from game tested bloodlines and are a pure breed.

• Ebonanno says

I read that in the late 1800′s and early 1900′s, Pit bulls were used as Nannies and were the best ones!

5. Purpleroseflower77 says

Wow! All dogs are capable of such loyalty, but its rare in a pit bull. I owned a pit bull and she was showing aggression, and I had to take her back to the pound. My mom was scared to death of her. I really loved her, and Wish I still had her, but once she started to show signs of aggression, I didn’t even want to go there. I lied to the pound of course. I didn’t want her to be put down.
    It could be that I just wanst going about the problem correctly.
    When my pets are bad I spank them. Maybe that is not the correct way to go about disciplining a pit.

• Pibbles4me says

Obviously, you can, as this dog saved this person. Appropriate Aggression in the face of DANGER is a good thing. You need to “get a clue” Dawn! You probably think all pits are dangerous as you appear to be ignorant of this breed. Try educating yourself BEFORE posting stupid comments!

• Docmountain says

Dawn, Respect but you are wrong. No assumptions as to your ‘female status’ but are you saying a mother “shouldn’t” or would’nt, if the opportunity presented itself, use aggression and attack another women trying to steal or seriously injure their child. The most aggressive of any species is the female protecting her eggs or child and we are top of the Food Chain for a reason, good agreesively protective mothers. Sorry Dawn but you need to see a few more sunrises. doc

• Ldhennin says

I have 3 standard poodles and 1 wheaten terrier…all sweet, affectionate, cuddly, safe, etc. etc. but when a stranger came through my front door one of the poodles was on him in a flash! That is exactly what you want…aggression in the face of danger, aggression to protect their home and their humans, aggression against the ‘bad guy’, aggression that is controlled and timely. Dawn, can you tell me that if someone attacks you that you won’t respond with aggression!

• says

Really? What if someone breaks into my house trying to kill me and i shoot him dead? It would seem that i very successfully fought aggression with aggression. Try thinking before speaking.

• Katie says

A dog will protect his family, if he’s trained properly. In the face of danger, aggression might well be the appropriate response.

Of course, there is no explaining how Angel knew that this lady and her child were in danger. But dogs somehow know these things.

• says

I work with abused dogs and none of them are “dangerous”, yes you must never hit a dog because it’s just cruel and abuse, but it doesnt mean you can make the dog mean.

6. Benfatti14 says

That is an amazin story….ppl always think pitt bulls r horrible dogs…its all how u raise any breed 2 b…I have a pitt bull…n she is the most amazin wonderful lovin carin dog….sweet as can b…I wish ppl would chg n not point fingers

7. Cjustpeachie says

THAT GUY (WITH A KNIFE) WOULD PROBABLY HAVE USED IT AND THIS DEAR PITT BULL MOST CERTAINLY SAVED THIS WOMAN AND HER CHILD FROM BODILY HARM OR EVEN DEATH!! HE JUMPED IN THE BACK OF HER CAR…HOW SWEET!! HE WOULD BE MINE FOREVER FOR SURE!!

8. Colierrannd2 says

I’m a boxer man myself, but in the 18 months of research I did before I got mine I considered a pit bull and would have gotten one too. What stopped me was my research. I use a wheelchair and I know that wouldn’t have been the problem I just didn’t feel my personality was a match, and obviously it worked out better I got my boxer. My point is that pits are awesome dogs and I met some awesome owners and if people would just take the same effort and time in finding their dog that they do in finding their car (which a lot of times you have for far shorter a time than dogs) or heck even a handbag (I mean let’s be honest) they’d find that there are no “bad breeds”, just bad people. I’m sorry to get on the soapbox. Anyhow, I’m happy this story will have a happy ending and who knows, maybe the mugger will see the error of his ways too.

• Ldhennin says

I agree. Take TIME to find a suitable breed for you. When are kids were young we had dobermans and Australian shepherds which suited the family. Now we have standard poodles…intelligent, affectionate, great companions, good protection, QUIET, active but not demanding, love to swim with us, don’t shed, don’t smell, travel well, don’t intimidate our friends & neighbors…suit our current lifestyle. Don’t get a breed because it’s popular or ‘tough’ looking. Do your homework!

• Peterpan_napretep says

i love great danes they are a wonderful breed of dog. they might be big but they love like crazy

9. Colierrannd2 says

It´s simple… 1- the dog see some people making something weird or shouting. 2- the dog goes til them and 3- dog choose some of them to attack. It’s called, INSTINCT!

• ari says

you are super silly…making something weird??? the dog goes til them??? what’s til them?? choose some of them to attack??? If it’s a choice, it’s NOT instinct..lmao at you

• Robyn Robotron says

It seems to me that Currito is not an original English speaker. And I think the instinct comment has to do with paying attention to an altercation, not choosing who to attack. Although, most dogs in this situation go for the attacker, so who can tell?

Way to be an ignorant dick, though, I got a laugh out of it.

• Ldhennin says

Ari look in the mirror. Who is super silly. The dog hears screaming, yelling, panic coming from the woman, the dog goes to the noise and INSTINCT dictates who is the aggressor and who is in trouble. Animals know this even if you don’t! Animals’ INSTINCT is very keen, something that humans do not have. Making fun of someone’s spelling or typing skills doesn’t accomplish anything except make YOU look foolish. LMAO at you.

• says

Me too. making something wierd? This guy is funny. I’m thinking of “two wild and crazy guys!” From Soviet Russia of course.

• Shelter Diaries says

If you’d read the article, you would have known that 1) there was no shouting or commotion. Odds are that the dog saw or heard something unusual, and went to investigate. And that’s the only part where you’d be correct.

Dogs are very perceptive – much, much moreso than you or I. Pretty sure that Angel could tell that there was fear on one side, aggression on the other. He simply did what you and most other humans would likely be afraid to do. He intervened, because he had been taught well that kind of aggression is wrong. The truly exceptional thing is that Angel had generalized his “prevent violence” behavior to the point that he’d intercede on behalf of a stranger.

11. Handley_kayla says

WOW thats amazing! And thats why i love dogs so much, they just know when to do the right thing!!
    Dogs truly are humans best friend!!

12. Trcx1414 says

I work with animals. We have had dogs come into the clinic that do not know us and if someone yells they bark and growl at them. Some dogs are just protective. If you notice in the story, they dog did not attack the man. Simply backed him away. To say he is aggressive is completely wrong. He was simply being protective. However, if the man physically attacked the woman or child, I am sure the dog would of attacked him.

Even though the lady would be a good match with the dog. I hope the real owner gets him back. Clearly a good amount of love and training was given to the dog his entire life.

13. Linsheld25 says

There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. The dog was obviously raised right, too bad she didn’t have ID on. They must have on at all times; you never know when they will get out. Any update?

14. KansasGirl says

I have a red nosed pitbull that is the apple of my eye. She is the sweetest, kindest little girl that we are lucky to have in our family.

15. Janet says

I would guess that the dog has an owner with a small child – they learn to be protective of similar family members – a foster I have is protective of a six year old child that I watch, but not the three year old. I hope that the “shelter” handled this situation correctly – man can things be messed up sometimes. What a great story about a great pit bull.

This is a great story to read… As much of the bad publicity that Pitbulls get, a dog is only as dangerous as its owner. and the highest number of dog bites that happen in North America, are NOT from pitbulls, but are from a much gentler dog…. Labs are much more likely to bite…

• Guest says

I think you’ll find that more bites are recorded from labs, but it’s because there are more labs around. Labs aren’t inherently more likely to bite.

• Geust says

true, in fact pitbulls aren’t even in the top five list of dogs most likely to bite, german shepherds are first, then goldens. it’s not the breed, or the dog itself, it’s the people and the environment it’s raised. if a child sees a parent doing a certain thing, it will repeat the behavior dogs are the same.

• Tk says

Ok so this list you talk of ,tell me specifictly who was bitten and what where the circumstances for these bites? Was it a dog just attacking for no reason? Or where they protecting? How about all the little dog bites that don’t get reported? I’ve been to the dog park in my area several times with my German Shepherd Dog and she has been attacked by several small dogs. I’ve never even heard my dog growl yet. So this list you speak of probally has no merit and should’nt have been brought up at all. I don’t go to parks anymore because of the small dogs,because their owners don’t think it’s a problem.

• Christina says

I have a small dog(Chihuahua to be exact) and it is the fact that she tends to go after bigger dogs(who has actually tried attacking a GSD in front of our house) that I don’t take her to the dog park. But there is some correct information in everyones. Dogs who have a higher population in their breed with obviously have more bite reports where as a dog whose breed isn’t as high of a number will not have high reports. After being around dogs, whether in my free time, or while working at an animal shelter, I have been bit by a cocker spaniel(just didn’t like people), a GSD(a dog i had known for 6 years and was being train for a police dog but no one knew) and my Chihuahua, as well as many others, all not reported.

• Veracious_1 says

Labs are actually more aggresive/more likely to bite than pits… So are German. Shepherds and many small breeds. Check the studies.

• Ldhennin says

My husband was a cop for 25 years and many of the years the #1 Nationwide breed for bites were Chows. Pitbulls got their bad reputation from the few that were trained to be aggressive for fighting or were aggressively/poorly handled from ignorance. Add to that the people who like to taunt ‘bad’ dogs because they think its fun and often end up on the wrong end of the fun!

• Lin says

I disagree with you about Chows.  They are NOT the #1 nationwide breed for bites.  LABS are!  I do agree with you about how pitties got their undeserved reputation.  I had a chow for 14 years and several years ago he was beaten by two little boys who had metal bats.  The neighbors caught them in the act, as I was not home.  The boys came into my yard and beat him so badly he screamed when touched.  He stood and took  it and did not bite either of them, which, they deserved.  I have no sympathy for people, children or adults, who are cruel and abusive (although I do know it is their parents who deserve most of the blame), but if my dog had bitten them to protect himself, he would have been punished, which to me is wrong.  I know these boys are growing up to be adult abusers because they have worthless parents.

• says

A fighting dog is VERY unlikely to be aggressive towards people, believe it or not. That is because when they fight the handler has to be in the ring with them. They need to be able to pull them apart with out getting bit. If ANY dog lines show human aggression they kill them and end their breeding lines.

When animal fighting started most people who fought animals were poor so their dogs had to live in the home with the families, they couldn’t have a dog that would turn on them.

• Christina says

this is so true and as much as i hate to admit it, the people who started fighting them actually got ONE thing right. when pit bulls show any form of human aggression there’s something not right with that specif dog and in all actuality it says in the AKC guidelines that it’s actually a disqualification for this breed to be human aggressive, however, other animal aggression is not a disqualification.

17. Docmountain says

Excellent example of Good Owner – Good Dog. How the Dog reacted is no big deal – it is instinctive and Breed sensitive (more pronounced in some breeds). It is automatic for a Dog to move from a natural, relaxed behaved temprement to an aggressive and threatening posture and behaviour when the Dog senses, (Smell – Hearing – Observation of an attackers aggressive Body Language and threatening Voice). Pit Bulls were breed as fighting dogs, end of argument. An owner can choose to raise that dog as the fighter it was breed to be or raise the ‘Pup’ in a non-aggressive, loving Family Home and the Dog will turn out tobe just another Good Dog.
    Nonetheless, there are far two many stories of just such ‘Family Pits’ attacking, maiming or killing other peoples children. Forget the why’s and wherefore’s the issue is a Pit Bull, due to its breeding, needs to be seen as a potential danger. Your call and ‘Responsibility’ should you ignore that potential risk. Doc (Dog owner – Working Hunterway’s – Sheppard – and a current sweet heart SPCA Bitza)

• Shelter Diaries says

The ironic thing is that the fighting-bred Pit Bulls (and all other fighting dogs) were also bred to be exceptionally human-friendly. Poor breeding, poor socialization and poor care should be far bigger culprits than inbred instinct in the case of Pit Bulls… which should raise all sorts of warning flags about what we as humans are doing to the breed. They are strong, therefore they are dangerous – but no more so than a Labrador Retriever, German Shepherd Dog or other large, overly-popular dog.

And just for the record, no young child should ever be left unsupervised with a dog, regardless of breed or temperament. You would never hand your 4-year old child a chainsaw and tell him to go and play with the other kids, so why would you expect your dog to be infallibly placid with a jaw full of teeth around children who haven’t yet solidified the concepts of cause-and-effect and empathy? (And by “you,” I mean generally, not Doc.)

• Christina says

i’m with you up until the part where you wouldn’t leave your child unsupervised. i’m not a mother yet, however, as a child i was left with our rottweiler/beagle mix and like my parents did, i wouldn’t have any animal if i didn’t completely trust it. go on youtube and look up 1happyemma and watch her videos. she has an american bulldog that is 2 months older than her daughter and CLEARLY this dog lives for that baby

18. Liya says

I’m a dedicated, responsible Pit bull owner. I work with a couple rescues in my area doing rehabilitation and adoption. I understand that they’re dogs, which makes them ANIMALS, and they should be treated as such. They all have teeth and the CAPABILITY to bite. It’s people’s(owners,breeders and the general public) responsibilty to teach our children how to behave, and to responsibly train our dogs (be they Pit Bull or any other breed). I personally have owned 11 pits over my 28 years, and rescued close to 100. Now I’m not saying that every dog can be saved and rehabilitated. Sometimes there are ones who are too far gone (from abuse, neglect or otherwise) and the humane thing to do it euthanize. But the VAST MAJORITY of this breed is the perfect addition to your family. But not everyone can or should own this kind of dog. As long as they’re shown love and get lots of socialization, they will reciprocate ten fold.
    When I was a child I owned a small (40-45 lb) Pit Bull named Star. Fourth of July weeked when I was seven my neighbor’s two dogs (Golden Retriever, and a Lab) came into my yard and were drinking water out of my dads oil drip pans. These dogs had known me my whole life. I walked up between them the whole time talking to them and petting them so that they knew I was there and wouldn’t scare them. As I got closer to their heads I reached for their collars to encourage them to stop drinking that water, and go home. The both turned around and attacked me, each one grabbing an arm, biting me repeatedly. I only screeched once, when they’d grabbed me. Star was in our house, and heard me. The door was closed, so she jumped through a storm glass window to come to my defence. She slammed herself into one of their rear ends, causing the dogs to let go of me. Instead they turned on my dog, By then my whole family was trying to help us. By the time my dad came back with a big branch to scare the two away, Star had suffered severe fatal injuries. But still she came to me sitting on the grass, where she laid her head on my lap and just sighed, as if to say “you’re safe, I did my job” and her whole body relaxed. Star passed away in my lap that afternoon after quite possibly saving my life. I will forever be indebted to this breed. I have several scars because of that, but I may have my life because of a Pit Bull! I owe my life to a Pit Bull! So again I say, Punish the DEED, NOT the BREED!!!

19. Liya says

• Katerperez says

Oh my God, that is the best story ever – although I feel awful for poor Star. I adore my Pits and they take such great care of my 3-year-old daughter. They love her so much. They also seem to know that they can jump up on me for hugs, but not my daughter, because she’s little. They are sweet and intelligent for sure.

• Brenda says

I’ve never had a random internet comment make me actually cry, but I’m sitting here with tears running down my face.

• DaneRay says

Liya — Everyone should do research on a breed before adding a dog to a family, not just with Pit Bulls. I know many people who wind up having problems because they got the “wrong” dog for their lifestyle — very active people who get a Great Dane, very laidback people who get a Jack Russell Terrier, etc.

I’m so sorry to hear about Star. Poor baby. It’s funny because the breed of dogs with the MOST bites per year in the U.S. is … “retrievers”! (They are group together … lab, goldens, chesapeake bays, etc.) So funny that people think of these as sedate, family dogs when they have the largest number of bites percentage wise.

• Renda82 says

Thank you , and thats why the Pit Bull has the bite rep. They band all “PIT BULL TYPES” into Pit Bulls during most test while other “breeds” stand alone. But, once you group the breeds the stats change. I’m also sorry for your loss as a child, Liya. Star did good that day and saved not just you but the pits you have owned since!

• DaneRay says

I once did research on why Great Danes are on some insurance companies’ lists of “unacceptable breeds of dogs” … it’s because those insurance companies use the breeds who’ve caused deaths historically in the U.S. — Great Danes are #8 in the top 10 on that list … they have caused (at least at the time I did the research which was back in 1999 or so) 4 deaths … but when you dig further, you discover that 2 of the deaths were of people who broke into homes where Great Danes were protecting their “property” … the other 2 were situations of extreme abuse and the dogs finally had it with being beaten and “counter-attacked.” Certainly not provoked, but those insurance companies who use the TOP 10 DEATH list will not budge … they don’t care about the “why” or “how” … so sad.

• Linda says

Wow!  What a heartwarming/heartbreaking story. I’m so sorry for the loss of Star, especially in such a dramatic way.  That had to have been a terrible blow to such a small child.  It is clear that this early experience played a large part in making you the caring responsible pet owner/citizen that you are today.

I didn’t think I’d ever had a pit bull until I did a little research.  Turned out that several of the wonderful dogs we had as children were some derivation of this wonderful breed.  I’ve been privileged to have had quite a number of dogs in my lifetime and have found none that were more loving or loyal towards their “family”.  I’m so happy to see these positive stories surfacing – maybe it will help educate the folks that haven’t been privileged to have known a pittie personally.

20. Sisbog_99 says

Awesome story! This breed has gotten such bad press because of irresponsible breeding and ownership that it’s wonderful people can see what great dogs they really are IF properly socialized and treated.

21. Wallz2sketch says

Pitbulls have had so much bad stuff said about them. It is awesome to see something that truely shows this breeds love for people. Thanks for sharing this story.

22. Klondyke0408 says

What a great story and what a good dog! It’s great to see a good story about a pit. Someone raised that dog right. There are no bad dogs just bad owners. I hope people start realizing that. If that dog is lost I hope the family gets him back and if not I hope that lady adopts him and treats him like the angel he is. Give that dog lots of treats and belly rubs :-)

23. DaneRay says

Yippee! I wish Angel had taken a “bite” out of “crime”! =;-) What a great story! I hope there’s an update somewhere to let us all know how this turns out for Angel.

24. rEGINA lANE says

This is what its all about…great people raising great dogs..i own 2 pitbulls and a boston and let me say you would get bit by the boston before the pibbles BUT if you were to act as if you wanted to harm anyone..lunch would be served! my pibbles are part of my family and they know right from wrong..this dog did what it was taught and what comes natural…a story to remember next time you hear..pitbull attacks human well if its raised right you have no problems unless you were in the wrong but if its raised to harm then its the owner who should be held responsible!!!! I LOVE ALL PIBBLES!!!!!!

25. DaneRay says

Regina — I love all animals … it’s humans I don’t like! =;-) LOL!!!! I did volunteer work in a doctor’s office years ago. He used to bring in one or more of his Afghan hounds and I would bring in whichever Great Dane I had at the time. The office next door was run by a couple who had a Shih Tzu and they often brought him in as well. The mailman was PETRIFIED of both of the Great Danes I had over the course of the years I was volunteering there. The Afghan hounds always ignored him — they were too busy being “beautiful” in the back. My Great Dane would always greet him and want to play. He would react almost petrified but talk away to the Shih Tzu. I once told him, it was the Shih Tzu that was prone to bite him and not my Great Dane, but he just laughed and said that he didn’t believe me. One day, he came into the office when no one was at the front desk, and, yes, you got it … the Shih Tzu tore into him! Was literally tearing at his heels and ankles when my Great Dane came running from the back and grabbed the Shih Tzu and held him. The poor guy was just shaking his head and told me that he’d have never believed it, but I was right. From then day on, he brought my Dane a treat every day and wouldn’t stay too long if the Shih Tzu were there! LOL!!!

• Anonymous says

My sister has 3 dogs a Dane, a Pit and a Mini Doxie! Guess which one is the dominant breed? That mini doxie is the toughest of the bunch! My 22 year old niece jogs with the pit and the dane and we all laugh how people will avoid her, while they are the friendliest of dogs! I work for a vet and truly believe the bigger the dog the more even the temperament. Though we all have to remember that ANY dog will protect their owners or territories if they feel threatened.

• DaneRay says

LOL!!! When we had gobs of Great Danes and Dobermans while I was still at my parents’ growing up, we had a miniature doxie who was THE alpha dog! 10 pounds of ALPHA that no one dared cross. =;-)

26. Kaycoby22 says

If the media would tell the good stories about how wonderful these pit bull dogs are, there wouldn’t be such fear from the public. But like all news stories, journalist like to report the bad stuff. Pits are the most dependable, loving, dogs of any breed. Like any dog, it’s bad behavior habits come from the way the dog is raised by it’s owners. If it is agressive that is because it has been abused and it fights for it’s life.

27. Angelasmithcarpenter says

This is a story from last fall but I can’t find an update on Angel. I sure hope the shelter didn’t put him down:(

• Amy says

the story is old, from 2008 and I am surprised that Dog Files keeps it on here as many of the facts are not proven and they use a stock photo for the story.  The dog in question, Angel, was taken by a rescue and died from heartworms during treatment.

28. Lrk3255 says

These dogs are great and can definitely reason to some ability. More good pitbulls than bad in the world. Most are just stereo typed. BSL and negativity toward this breed is the same as racism amongst ourselves.

29. Lrk3255 says

30. Argus1982 says

There is no bad breed of dog. They are individuals just like humans. When you see a “bad” pittie, it is almost always because they have been mistreated and/or not properly socialized. There are far too many people who want a “bad” dog to make themselves feel like big shots. Those people are usually–note I say “usually”–young, cocky males with about two working brain cells. In the hands of responsible people, pit bulls are wonderful dogs.

BTW, the first resident dog in a nursing home in the state of Georgia was a pit bull.

31. lovedogs says

This story has bought tears to my eyes, dogs are amazing and know whats wrong and right! Dogs are very smart creatures! Thanks to ‘Angel’ for being so brave. X

32. Chefndorst says

I would have to say I hate when people steriotype a breed. I have never owned a Pit but think they are beautiful dogs. I dealt witht the same thing when I had my Boxer. Everyone was affraid of her and if they only knew her. She was the biggest baby in the world. She loved kids. Now i have 2 mixed breeds. But I would get another Boxer in a heart beat. Unfortianately she died the end of last summer. I miss her.

33. Torian15 says

it makes me laugh tht ppl percicute the bull breed i have 3 kids and 3 stafforshires ive owned the breed for over 13 years never once had a problem ive also owned a pitmix for 5 years the 2 breeds are so similar in carater as long as they are given bounderys and u keep them round other dogs they grow up just fine with no aggression in them its how we as owners bring them up it dont make you gangster to own a pit or any bull breed and we as careing owners will miss out if things turn for the worse and the breed is band

34. Elkhorn says

I never like pit bulls. I always adopt mutts from shelters. While looking for a friend for my old lab/greyhound, I thought I found one from a rescue organization. After a few weeks I realized that he was part pit. It changed my entire perspective. That dog lies at my feet now and is the most loving dog I have ever had.

Bad people have give a good breed an image problem. This story is just great.

35. Elkhorn says

Bad people have give a good breed an image problem. This story is just great.

• DaneRay says

Your story should be spread around … about how someone with a dislike of pit bulls gets a part pit mix and the dislike turns into LOVE for the dog. =;-) Give your furbaby a big hug from me and my Great Dane.

RAY

36. Elkhorn says

Bad people have give a good breed an image problem. This story is just great.

37. Sue says

What a wonderful story. ALL dogs, if they are well trained, loved and shown respect, will give love and loyalty 10 fold. I do hope that Angel has a long and very happy life. This might make people think, before judging a book by it’s cover or believing all the read it the press. The sad thing is that the only people that bother to read this post will already be animal lovers (who care). The people who need to read it, are those individuals who don’t care about the plight of animals…..If only they could understand what they are missing.

38. TheDieHard says

No, it is not called “instinct,” any more than a human making a fire is instinct. It is a learned behavior. They may learn it from other dogs, from other animals (including humans), or if they’re particular observant, they’ll figure it out themselves. (One of my cats could turn a doorknob. No one taught her that.)

This dog was obviously socialized, and understood threat behavior and fear response. Dogs allied themselves with us some hundred thousand years ago, and even more than humans, they are communal — they protect the cubs from the outsider.

That’s not “instinct.” Pulling your hand out of a fire is instinct. Risking yourself to protect those who can’t protect themselves is the decision a soldier makes, or a firefighter.

There ARE NO “bad breeds.” (Well, except for the ones so inbred that they’re neurotic.) There is, rarely, a dog or cat just born mean — not nearly as high a percentage as among humans, though. Only one in a million dogs would vote repukelican-teabagger.

The breeds with square faces — terriers and mastiffs were bred for strong jaws in hunting, unlike Labs, bred for careful carrying, or dachshunds, whose powerful lock was selected for small spaces — tend to appeal to jerks, for some reason. It isn’t the dogs that are the problem. It’s the morons mistreating them.

With the same training, a poodle will stare down a terrier until they’ve established their respective territories. With the same training, a half-wolf half-husky will be as gentle, especially with kids, as a beagle. A Pomeranian will fight back if cornered, with teeth as sharp as a Doberman’s. A Shepherd or Dalmation will roll over and beg for a toy ball. The only disadvantage to a Greyhound or a Whippet is that they actually stand a chance of catching a cat, and then what?

The single and only inviolable rule is that YOU AND YOUR DOG MUST UNDERSTAND ONE ANOTHER. Professional training is always advisable, so that you don’t give the wrong signals, and they don’t eat just any old thing a stranger offers them, but no matter what, you HAVE to pay attention to their forms of communication, just as they do to yours.

The dumbest dog I ever had would respond to hand signals so subtle that the other humans had no idea she was being clued. The smartest dog I ever had barked at a snowflake. Granted, it was in south Florida, and the only snowflake she’d ever seen, but it was something she did not recognize.

My brother’s Chow is dumber than half a rock, and resignedly lets their two-year-old hang onto her tail and tows him around, lets him pull her ears, ride on her, all with that patient “Why me?” expression. When the wife’s sister came over, and made some disgusted comment about “How can you let your child be around that big ugly dangerous nasty dog?” and tried to pick up the kid, Allie very softly, very firmly took the dumb broad’s wrist in her mouth. My sister-in-law said, “I think you’re being invited to leave.”

Walk through this again. Child, mother, mother’s sister. Dog did not perceive threat to dog’s self. Dog did not perceive threat to mom. Dog perceived threat to child, from mom’s sister. Dog chose from a very complex interaction equation, faster than Watson, and reacted with only a careful warning.

When I pick up the kid and toughhouse with him and the dog both, I get wags and wiggles. That’s not instinct. That’s a conscious, informed choice.

Angel, and millions like her, made a pact of loyalty with us long ago, and deserve far better than we’ve given them.

39. KammieBerrie says

WOW finally people might realise its not the breed but the person on the other end of the lead that gives these poor dogs a bad name.. Our AM staff is the most loyal loving dog you would ever find, we wouldn’t trade hime for any other breed of dog, there is such a fine line between pitty’s an am staffs, people just don’t give them a chance.. Love ya Tyso

40. kelly says

this story about a stray pit bull saving a woman and her childs life when never seeing them before is a perfect example of the true colors of the american pit bull terrier and the media didnt make any notice to this they only see the bad which truly the HUMANS fault not the dog.. and it is absolutely rediculous that pit bulls are thrown under the bus for the HUMANS mistake, it is not the dogs fault it was beaten until it faught hell theres not a person on this planet that can say if beaten enouph they wouldnt fight back because thats absolute bull shit!! pit bulls are amazing dogs and this story and more like this are just proof that pit bulls are not the vicious killers that the media puts them out to be!!! if you have any problems with what i have said in this comment contact me at [email protected]

41. Mca48 says

I have a bull/kerr mix. He was lost and ‘he’ found me. Stayed outside my gate for 3 days. Had just had 2 dogs pass due to age and sickness(kidney). My husband said we shouldn’t adopt another dog, due to our broken hearts from losing our cocker and shephard. We actually were afraid that he may get hit by a car, however. Took him to local location for safety, we had second thoughts, retrieved him, gave him a bathe, vet. checkup(he was approx. 4 months old, per vet), a chip implanted later..Reason for this was a man was walking in front of our yard, on the county road and had actually lured him into following him down the road…I ran and retrieve my new friend, my dog,
    The man actually had the gall to take pictures of him with his cell phone to show his friends..As I thought about it later, I did come to the conclusion that he was trying to steal my dog…I’ve never seen this man again on my road and he’d better not try that again. I’ll have my camera going next time he comes by, if he has the nerve. Lucky just turned 4 years old in Feb. and he’s a wonderful protector and a loyal friend. I thank God for him every day..

42. Natjcab says

Great story about pitbulls… We never hear when good things happen with this breed…Nice to hear! We have one as well and they are such smart, loyal companions…

43. Dawnmac3903 says

AMAZING STORY!!!! I OWN A WONDERFUL, LOVABLE 9 YEAR OLD PITBULL WHO WOULD NEVER HURT A FLY. HE IS THE LOVE OF OUR LIVES!!! LOVE TO HEAR POSITIVE STORIES LIKE THIS!!!

44. Tina Mosley says

I worked at a motorcycle shop.  It was the end of the day, when two men came into the shop, pretending to be interested in motorcycles.  A friend of mine had a pit bull, named Bandit, who was as sweet as sugar.  My friend had taught her to “smile”.  The men had me cornered (I wasn’t alarmed, because I didn’t realize I was cornered). when my girlfriend came into the shop. She let Bandit go, to come to me.  Bandit came running to me, smiling……..her teeth showing…….the two men ran out of the shop!  I still didn’t think anything of it until the next day their pic’s were in the paper for robbing a business down the street…..and killing the owner.  I would say that Bandit saved my life!!!  Let’s hear it for PITBULLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. Bearsfan2 says

grated store about a pitt love it is the dog know with th emother and child it went to help out? god bless that dog it just show they are angels her on earth no matter what kind they are

46. Bizcuitt says

Thank NBC for covering the story, Fox only would of posted something about a pit if it killed a innocent person or something.
    And it is all in the way you raise them,and they are excellent judges of character. The one I have (raise) is now 7 and has been all over the U.S. with me in a semi truck,
     Only had one incident that drew a crowd. Was in L.A. when we stopped for lunch,  people couldn’t believe me sitting on the curb outside Mc’d s eating a burger with my right hand and holding her’s for her in my left, and she would wait for me to take a bite then she would take one from hers’.  People just stood and watched, asked  them when we  were leaving if they never seen a kid with manners ? They all just started shaking there heads.
    And she is from Florida out of Baker Davis’s line  Great pig dogs.

47. Switch says

’bout time some positive stories are posted about “large dangerous” breeds such as this pitbull…. as many have said it’s not the animal but the owners that create “monsters” such ppl should never have a goldfish as a pet let alone a large dog… the public in general need tobe re-educated about such things as this and stories like this 1 need tobe told to as many ppl as possiable before more defensless animals are hurt by poor “press” keep up the good work ppl,need to read more posts like this

48. protect and serve says

I had a German Shepherd that was very aggressive.  It got so bad that people could not come to the house unless we locked him in the bedroom.  He had bitten several of our friends and he was very dog aggressive, we learned to live with it, he just could not allow other people near us.  No amount of training helped.  He died a ripe old age protecting us from whatever he thought would harm us.  We kept him safe, knowing how aggressive he was,  point being, all dogs, any dog has the capacity to be aggressive.  Pitties just have a Bad Rap!

49. Judy says

I believe that there are no bad dogs.  I do believe that there are bad people out there.  No one should harm and animal just to get there kicks off.  Animals are like kids.  They want love and understanding.  i believe that a human that harms and animal or kills them will do the same to an innocent human being.

50. Furbabies says

Let us not forget what happened to ACE in Detroit, Michigan. She was a  Pit left at a Hardware store. She was starving and  was brought to the shelter and even though the judge said not to put her down the shelter did it anyways. People were trying to save her as Detroit does not allow pits to leave shelters once they arrive. Lets not forget so we can stop this from every happening again.

51. Furbabies says

52. Nicholjo says

yt’s funny she is going to adopt the dog if the real owner doesn’t show up but at the time she was just going to drive off and leave the dog in the parking lot after it saved her bacon!!!  I am glad she is o.k. and that dog deserves a medal.  I hope she stands by her word and adopts the dog if the owner does not show up.  She is one very lucky lady to come upon one very exceptional dog.

53. Amy says

the story is old, from 2008 and I am surprised that Dog Files keeps it
    on here as many of the facts are not proven and they use a stock photo

54. Thelivingend27 says

a dog, any dog, is only as cruel as its master trains it to be, or abuses it. i dont believe any dog is simply mean out of nature.

55. Karen B. says

This is the most amazing story that I have read about Pit Bull’s.  I couldn’t be more elated to share this on FB.  Thank you so much for publishing.

Yay for dogs! Yay for Pitbulls! Yay for our wonderful guardian angels on earth!
    Thank you for sharing such a touching story with a wonderful outcome – it is a much needed reprise from … well, all those other stories!  Happy Holidays to all.

57. omd says

An absolutely amazing story!!!  I love when the PITBULL is the good dog which most of the time he is…..  Ignorant people make the pit the scapegoat!!!!!!!!!!  Angel truly is a miracle as are all dogs!!!

I can’t begin to express how excited & emotional it makes me to see a story like THIS! Due to a SERIOUS family trauma a lil over a yr ago, I had to part w/my own VERY loving pitbull. Though I accept that finding her another home was the most loving gift I could give her @that time, I miss her more w/each passing day & quite frankly it makes me mad as hell to see how often the media is quick to make villains out of such a tender breed that is SO eager to please the human race. Just based on my own experiences, I’d have to say that THIS glowing example of the breed, was prolly makin sure the object of aggression came NOWHERE near that baby..reminds me so much of my own beautiful Baby..the perfect example of a “dalmatian” pit w/100% pit blood & temperament. I feel ur loss as well Josh..sry to hear about it..prayers r w/u.

59. Desireetamez says

My baby pit, always runs on patrol due to my autism brother, she is a dog well needed, Jony brother calls anarchy one day because he was scared of another dog, I never encourage her to do anything, what she did was let me know by letting a bark I never heard before out, I ran out to the yard to find a chow. I grabbed my brother while anarchy followed. Pit bulls are the only breed I trust!

It’s really nice hearing/reading about a dog coming to the rescue, but when that dag is a Pit Bull and came out of nowhere to protect a complete stranger and her child, well, that’s just God sent! If God can send a Pit Bull to save a life and show the truth of this breed WHY CAN’T WE SEE IT on our own? I do hope “Angels” owner comes forward; but it makes me more than a little happy to hear this woman say she will adopt him if they don’t! Now then, wouldn’t it be an amazing thing if this dog had done this before? A real Suiper Dog!

61. Iris & Russ Taub says

What an uplifting story and as loyal pit bull guardians of a beautiful pocket pit bull who wandered into our lives four years ago at a Costco parking lot when someone released her in Miami when she was between six to eight weeks old, we have made it our mission to educate people that with love and exposure to other animals and people from the beginning that even when you have no idea where they came from, they will melt your heart and make a believer out of you! Our Shana would literally lick you to death before she would ever show any signs of aggression and when we are at the dog park and she sees any dog getting too aggressive or wild, she will jump into our arms for protection as if to say, protect me, I am a lover not a fighter!
    Iris & Russ Taub
    Parkland, Florida

This is proof these dogs are intelligent and not inherently dangerous as some people who are so misinformed, believe. It’s due to media hype and the fact that every negative story about one that has been made dangerous by a bad owner is publicized, whereas attacks by other dogs are rarely presented in the media.

63. [email protected] says

This is so awsome…. this just goes to show that not all PIT BULLS are bad…. my husband and i won a PIT MIX and she is the most loveable thing along with my stepdaughter and her fiance who own 2 PITS….. it is so very sad because of SOME HORRIBLE PEOPLE the entire breed gets a bad rap.

64. Jo Lene says

Awesome positive pit bull story to bad all the media who would be reporting if it was an attack by a pit bull wouldn’t report this story also.

65. Hector's, momma :) says

I have a Pitt as well, and his personality is docile even at only a year old. Easy to train. I walk “hector” off a leash. Well trained to listen to my commands, even at a distance. I talked to a trainer thinking maybe a professional opinion is important. As soon as I said Pitt bull the subject changed. Once meeting “Hector”, and seeing how he operates. Makes me real proud of him. While walking him, I’ve had a couple approach that had there Pitts on leads.(pulling the hell out of them). The people got scared hector would go to them,creating a fight. It was nothing, Hector never thought much, they were so impressed, later asked for help. I never talk much while walking him, I keep my attn on him and cars. Recently police and several people visited amazed with how he acts off a leash and away from home….the only thing Hectors ever gotten upset with was a neighbor and domestic abuse….children aren’t born serial killers there showed things like lynchings, that are glorified….dogs are the same…God is good, Be Blessed !!!

66. Jackie says

I have a bitt puppy all white with just a few black spots and he is the most loving dog.This poor breed always get the blame its about time that they get some glory for the good side of them like Josh said it is the way they are raised.Im so sorry that Josh’s pet is missing and hope that it is found safe.

Pit Bulls were once known as “grannie dogs” They are really good with children if they are raised like any good pet, socialized and not chained in a yard. They are extremely strong and a bit rowdy but a really good pet if raised with love

68. nomonkeydreams says

This breed is variously cited as being responsible for nearly a third of all fatal dog
    attacks in the United States, in part due to its tenacity in a fight. Pit bulls cause one-third of dog-bite related fatalities while only make up less than 2% of the dog population. Because of the deaths, maulings and serious injuries inflicted by Pit Bulls, many countries worldwide ban these dogs altogether or require licenses for ownership of them.

I was 12 when my parents seperated…one early,still dark morning as mom went to let our pit bull out before fixing breakfast for us, he started growling real low as she unlocked the door…he didn’t do that normally and she locked the door back, turned the front light on & looked out. One young man was beside the door with a knife & one was ducked down below the window. My mom, two sisters & myself would probably have died that morning. They were newspaper delivery men & had been casing our house, as it was secluded. She grabbed her 22 rifle & shot through the door & both men took off, but one was hit & the police caught up with them. They told everything, from watching & planning, they wanted to rape my mom & steal what we had. I’m 65 now & have had 3 pitbulls since Pepper (for his brindle coat), & several times they had prevented possible unpleasant things from happening. Highly intelligent, loyal & very protective. My last dog was a Aussie shepard, great animals, but think I’m gonna have another Pitbull as my last one.

70. r_n_s_biz says

What a wonderful, wonderful dog. And what a great story. The media’s typical preference for the negative and their unfair focus on negative pit bull stories has unfairly skewed so much of the general public’s opinion against this breed, but a properly raised pit bull is such a wonderful “people” dog. Whoever eventually adopted Angel is a lucky human. He’s a good-looking dog and looks like a prolific face licker.

71. Ron says

I have a Pit Mix. She is an extremely loveable family friend. She plays well with kids and is a lovable member of our family. Pits are highly intelligent and therefore highly trainable. This makes them susceptable to unscrupulous trainers. Handled and living in a family environment a Pit Bull is a wonderful loyal pet. I would adopt this animal in a NY minute but I suspect the owners will miss it and want it back home.

72. Irishgirl says

What a blessing for her and her child, who knows what that man might have done…If the owner of Angel does not claim him, he will have a devoted, loving family waiting for him..This was a nice story, with a happy ending..By the way, Dog is God spelled backwards…..God was certainly with them that day…

73. dunesmike says

I have three dogs two weiner dogs one 90 lb pit named little man,funny name but he was so small when we rescued him from a backyard breeder who was going to throw him in the river since he was the runt, and he has never once tried to be aggressive with either one of them. My wife was so worried about the breed because all the bad stuff she had heard she was not going to let me keep the puppy till I took her to the shelters to let her hear what they would do to the puppy If we let them have it and thats all it took and now we have the most protective, loyal, happy pit in the world according to my wife,and by the way its not my pit anymore its hers

74. mumz1 says

An angel from heaven was sent to this woman and her child at just the right time.

Bet that robber may think twice before he attempts this again. Maybe not, but I surely do think he had to change his pants after this!

75. Marine223 says

Pit Bulls, just like people,weren’t Born Mean and Vicious, they were made that way! By mean/ irresponisible people with bad intentions! Pit Bulls LOVE people, BUT they need disipline and excersize to burn off their pent up energy, ALL dogs need disipline and excersize (walks)! ALSO they need to be Socialized with other animals, taught to be submissive! I’ve had to do that with other small breed dogs. MANY people HAVE NO CLUE about how to train and disipline their dogs, as in my neighbors on both sides!

76. 3dsoul27 says

Great story!! Its tru that PIt Bulls arent born as vicious. They are trained to be that way by the owners. Maybe owners need to start applying for put bull permits so they can be examined before being allowed to purchase one. keep them out of the hands of evil people.

I used to have a pit named bandit and he was very gentle and protective of my family, he was agitated by fireworks though. Bad people make bad animals of any breed, some people should have to wear shock collars.

78. lizzer says

“Lady” a a beloved pit bull sent from above comforted and saved my dear brothers life. And when my brother left this world way to early, Lady joined him in heaven the same week.

I pity the fool! had to go there. lol

Glad all is well. Someone socialized the pit out of that dog for him to respond that way. I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion the owners were irresponsible, though. A missing dog happens to the best of us.

I had a Pit Bull stay here as her owner was attending school here. She was very good with my 2 small dogs. My poodle was only playful with me, and she never hurt either of them.

81. Mad Dog says

YOU will never see this story in any of the so called mainstream media. And that is a shame because these dogs have a bad rap. And, of course, there are jerks like Michael Vick, who escapades are notorious. I have a pit named Sage and she is one of the greatest dogs I’ve ever owned. She is polite, mannered, and obeys. She even sleeps with us. I can assure you that the mainstream media and the rest of the abusers out there never will.

82. me says

the bred of dog isn’t what matters, it’s the way they are raised & loved! Just like humans love makes the world go around!

it is not clear that this pit was trying to defend the woman and her child. in fact, of the man wasn’t there, the woman and child would have likely been the targets.

84. lisa says

thank hod for angel I pray if its a good home they find him or you adopt this baby because he or she did something amazing

85. Ellen Childers says

You know God really does work in mysterious ways. This is a beautiful and touching story and I really hope that Angela and her family get to adopt Angel.