New York Dog Paying Price For Owner Who Didn’t Get Proper Training

A New York dog is paying the price for an owner who was unwilling to follow through on proper training.

Casper, a 3 year old Presa Canario has been contained in a Westchester country animal shelter for six months while his owner is facing $80,000 in fines, eviction and fighting to save his dog’s life after events led to Caspar injuring a visitor in his condo parking lot.

When Eric Leinwand of Westchester bought Casper as a puppy from a breeder- he was encouraged by the dog’s breeder to train the dog for protection as well as leaving him in-tact to use a stud dog to bring in some ‘extra cash’ later down the road. Unfortunately, ‘later down the road’ Casper grew and started showing some troublesome behavior such as marking in the house, lunging and barking at other dogs and strangers outside home, and showing fear aggression toward people inside the home due to lack of proper basic training and socialization. Eric then decided to take the advice from some acquaintances and purchased a shock collar to attempt to control Casper’s behavior. The result of the shock collar was worse than the original situation as the behavior intensified and was made worse, especially towards strangers.

In an attempt to fix his situation, Eric and Casper appeared in the third US season of Animal Planet’s It’s Me or the Dog, hosted by Victoria Stillwell. During the show, Stillwell tried to show Eric the potential of his dog’s power and what could happen WITHOUT proper training. The original story reported that “On the show, a trainer waved a big stick at Casper in a threatening manner and the dog lunged at him after being released by Eric Leinwand.”

In reaction to the article, Stillwell has come out with a statement explaining “I arranged for Eric to watch a demonstration with an experienced handler and his own trained protection dog to show, in a controlled scenario, how powerful a bully breed can be.  This segment included the handler, his trained protection dog and an experienced trainer in a bite suit, who waved a bite stick at the trained protection dog and NOT CASPER – a common scenario in protection work.  At no time was any stick waved at Casper.”

At the time when Eric purchased the dog, his condo association gave him permission to keep the dog despite the community’s no-dog rule. Over time the community grew worried about Casper and his owner, and even though reports suggest “all of the problems” started when they appeared on the show, Stillwell states “there is no doubt that the biting episodes which actually triggered the dispute would have occurred (probably even sooner) without him appearing on the show.”

The episode of It’s Me or the Dog shows that despite urging from Stillwell to have the dog neutered and arrangements made by her for Eric to work with other area trainers after her departure- Eric did not follow through on much of the training, did not work with any trainers nor did he neuter Casper, leaving him to his previous behaviors which lead to events that caused the dog to act out towards the visitor.

Westchester County judge Walter Rivera labeled Casper as “dangerous” but also ruled to spare his life. The judge also ordered that he must be neutered, visit a “board certified animal behaviorist” and not go out in public without a muzzle.

Story by Lauren McGregor Downs

Notify of
guest
50 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Janetmarshall
Janetmarshall
10 years ago

This just blows me away; here AGAIN is yet another example of how the dog or the breed are painted as being dangerous or “bad” and it is SOLELY the fault of the owner. He refused the “professionals” advice, did NOTHING that he was asked to do and now wonders why all this crap is going on? He doesn’t deserve the dog; end of story. Thank G-d the Judge spared the dogs life but seriously – if the owner isn’t willing to do WHAT IS BEST FOR HIS DOG – he shouldn’t own a dog, especially one of this breed. I’m so sick and tired of reading about what “the dog did” when in fact, the dog was never trained properly and who suffers for this? The poor dog!!!

Raggtopp01
Raggtopp01
Reply to  Janetmarshall

AGREED!!!

Jasmine Gaston
Jasmine Gaston
Reply to  Janetmarshall

TOTALLY AGREE!! You saw how the other dog was very well trained!!

Stephen B
Stephen B
Reply to  Janetmarshall

Yes, because of course, a little pomeranian or shitzu in an unstable, aggressive state would be just as dangerous as a bully.🙄

Last edited 2 years ago by Stephen B
Ken
Ken
Reply to  Stephen B

You sound… LMAO… Teeth are teeth and a bite is a bite. Period.

Brandi
Brandi
Reply to  Ken

I think I’d rather take my chances of getting bitten by a Pomeranian than a dog like Casper.

Beverly Williams
Beverly Williams
Reply to  Ken

Yes, but I’ve yet to hear of a pomeranian mauling its owner or other .It should be a law if you purchase these type of dogs, pitts or etc. They get proper behavior training and a certificate to show. It protects the owner and the animal.My brother has two pitts, and he did so. He made sure as pups they interact with children and other dogs. You have to change the way they are wired.

Rodney Saunders
Rodney Saunders
2 years ago

They are not “wired” wrong… they are raised wrong! I had a pit Bull for 12 years that I trained by myself and he was an angel ! The problem is the way PEOPLE are raised these days !

Rae
Rae
1 year ago

Yes, I had a part pit/chow mixed intact male (not neutered because I was young and ignorant) but despite my ignorance he was very sweet. My vet told me that chows are actually the more aggressive breed naturally. He did not have professional training but I also did not encourage or accept any type of aggressive play as a puppy. Some people argue it’s all about training while others argue it’s about genetics but in reality it’s normally a combination of those, with exceptions to that just like with everything else in life.

Heather
1 year ago

Some dogs are just wired wrong and sadly I have one. My pit is the sweetest girl ever, she loves everyone and wouldn’t hurt a fly. However my husky has to take Prozac to be normal. He’s only 2 and I’ve had him since 8 weeks old. He’s been socialized and used to be fine however once he hit 8 months old he went crazy. The trainer said he has no confidence and bites out of fear. The only thing that calms him down is being medicated.

Nora
Nora
1 year ago

BULLSHIT! I’m sick & tired of clueless & foolish man-children thinking that owning a bully breed will make them look tough.
You didn’t get the damned thing because of its sociable qualities, you got it because it’s dangerous – though far more often to EVERYONE ELSE around you, especially your own family, neighbors & random strangers walking the neighborhood.

Also, these dogs have been bred originally for fighting with the gameness of terriers coupled with the tenacity of bulldogs. There are specific traits that low lifes are looking for when they want to create fighting dogs.

And now because of nurture over nature propaganda of naive fools, there are cases in the news nationally & worldwide, every single day, with one of these damned dogs mauling or killing someone.
No one should be forced to carry a gun with them just to walk through their own neighborhoods because of fools like you who insist that their bully dogs are perfect angels, despite overwhelming breed evidence to the contrary.

It’s a real travesty that bully owners aren’t mauled to death by their own dogs for their willful stupidity, instead of innocent kids or random strangers.

JoElle Finds
JoElle Finds
1 year ago

Sorry that’s not always the case, I had an American bully that I got at 7 1/2 weeks of age I took her all through obedience school I socialized her as much as I possibly could she was in a pack of five other dogs she tried killing one of the dogs three different times had I not been there the dog would’ve been dead, then she just one bite killed my not quite one-year-old 5 pound Chihuahua she was raised with that dog sometimes they’re wired wrong. I gave her back to her breeder he worked and worked with her thought he had her broke of the habit of attacking female dogs and he learned real hard that she wasn’t fixed she damn near killed one of his prize bitches she had to be put down she could not be trusted with other female dogs, she got along great with all male dogs and I would’ve trusted her forever with my grandchildren but after she turned 2yrs old something went wrong she was raised in a house with all female dogs she played with all of them when she was a puppy and when they were puppies and she just flipped a switch it’s not all in the lack of training my dog was very well trained.

Kellie
Kellie
1 year ago

It should be law that if you want ANY dog you must pass a class and get a basic licensing for a dog.

Jodi Gutierrez
Jodi Gutierrez
1 year ago

Look up the article where 2 mini dachshunds mauled a new born in a playpen. Sadly, the baby did not survive. You never know which breed or what it is that’s going to finally set them off. Ironically, I own a female mini dachshund and a Male English bull terrier. She’s the boss.

K. Pitt
K. Pitt
Reply to  Stephen B

You are absolutely correct

Alia
Alia
Reply to  Janetmarshall

Right on! Im gutted too! Terrible ending.
TRAIN THE HUMANS 🐩👌

Champlette
Champlette
10 years ago

The judge was kind to spare this dog’s life since it was not his fault he wasn’t properly trained or neutered, it was his owner’s.  I saw the episode of “It’s Me Or The Dog”.  Victoria absolutely warned him to neuter and train his dog.  She absolutely did not have anyone wave a stick at Casper.  That episode was incredibly moving and enlightening and if this guy didn’t listen to her, he’s an idiot.  I feel bad for Casper.  I’m glad the judge spared his life.

Yolanda
Yolanda
Reply to  Champlette

Casper ended up getting put down..

laura garris
laura garris
10 years ago

idiot what part do owners not understand that when you have a dog that is already showing signs of aggression you do not put a device on the dog thats causes more stress and pain. shame on the breeder for suggest the owner not neuter so he could make money and not following through with keeping up with the owner regarding the training and not having a signed contract the dog would be taken back if the owner did not follow the contract. bad owner, bad breeder who pays?? the dog with his life

Islandgirllw56
Islandgirllw56
10 years ago

Maybe Ceaser Milan can Help this Dog! He’s Very GOOD AT HELPING DPGS WITH DIFFERENT PROBLEMS!!

marine65
marine65
Reply to  Islandgirllw56

please. all cesar would do is beat the dog down by hanging it til it passes out, he loves to deal with aggression of dogs with aggressive behavior. god help us if cesar gets hold of him

Stephen B
Stephen B
Reply to  marine65

Not once have I heard of Cesar doing that
He actually has owned and trained several pits.

L B
L B
Reply to  Stephen B

Cesar actually did that on his TV show with the Korean Jindo dog who was trying to bite everyone. It’s a very old-school technique that can badly injure dogs and never makes them safe to be around. Cesar also got severely bitten by a yellow lab he was trying to “correct” over food aggression. There are very good positive methods for dealing with aggression now, but early socialization and training are the most important for raising good dogs. Susan Garrett’s DogsThat.com online program is awesome, but she doesn’t deal with aggression issues. A properly certified behaviorist is best for that.

Ice
Ice
1 year ago
Reply to  marine65

That’s so sad I’ve heard that so many times about him….
Breaks my heart

Kshartline
Kshartline
Reply to  Islandgirllw56

Caesar Milan has harsh and brutal ways of training a dog! They don’t respect him, they fear him. Totally different than what Victoria does. This guy don’t need a dog!!! PERIOD!!!

Houseofjax
Houseofjax
10 years ago

Big male dogs need to neutered, (all dogs really), this breed is protective naturally. I really dislike this guy and I think someone should publish the stupid breeder’s name so anyone dealing with him/her knows they know zip about raising dogs. They only know how to make money off them.

AliciaW
10 years ago

Many people claim that it is the dog’s fault in these kind of cases. Here we have documented evidence that that is not always the case. The owner knew what the dog was capable of. A certified trainer told him to get the dog neutered and trained. He didn’t. It was the owners fault. Had he listened to Ms. Stilwell, the dog would have been trained and the man he bit would have been fine. Properly trained bullys do not behave this way. Only isolated and ignored, intact, untrained, and backyard/junkyard dogs behave this way.

karen robinson
karen robinson
Reply to  AliciaW

You say many people claim that it is the dog’s fault. It’s blatantly obvious whose fault this is and I haven’t seen anyone who has mistakenly put the blame on the poor dog. Can you give me an example? Because I haven’t yet found one person blaming the dog.

Axstopyro
Axstopyro
10 years ago

First off, it is horrible that people breed animals. Period! Secondly, these idiots keep buying from breeders. We are so overpopulated with animals, that it’s horrible to do so. Just save a life, why be so worried about “the breed”!? Thirdly, I believe you should have to qualify for a license to own an animal, just as a child. And fourthly:), it is disgusting what people do or put these dogs trough because they are so ignorant….
Maybe I’m getting off track here, but NO dog deserves a shock collar and No dog should not be fixed!!

Axstopyro
Axstopyro
Reply to  Axstopyro

Also, this dog should not be kept caged for 6 months because of this ignorant owner . He should be adopted out to a great, loving family.

Jill Greff
Reply to  Axstopyro

ok you’re an idiot. If no one bred dogs there would be no dogs. Or do you propose that the only dogs available should be idiots with oopses or puppy mill specials?

Axstopyro
Axstopyro
Reply to  Jill Greff

You’re the idiot:) we have so many cats and dogs all over this country and all the others, that no one wants. Do your research. I’d rather breeds die out than to keep breeding them for people to make money and for AT LEAST half of each litter to end up in a horrible home! Once again, do your research before you start to stick up for 1 dog and don’t see the outcome of all animals being bred:)

Jill Greff
Reply to  Axstopyro

responsible breeders don’t make money. responsible breeding costs way more than any litter/litters of puppies will bring in.

Amber Bock
Amber Bock
Reply to  Axstopyro

Having dog breeds die out isn’t okay. My mom breeds wiener dogs. Sells them for $350-$500. She does it because she loves it. A person where she got her first dog from is now selling hers at $1800 per wiener dog. She does it for profit. Good breeders do it because they love it and they make sure they’re going to a good home. 8 of the 10 puppies got a new home and we get updates on most of them still. 1 puppy sadly didn’t make it and the other puppy we kept. She’s doing great and she might be the next to get bred if my mom wants to do more. Original breeding dog is done now since she’s had three litters back to back

Jessica Swaim Harding
Reply to  Jill Greff

you are so ignorant. pure bred dogs aren’t as nature intended and therefore have breed specific health problems because the lack of gene diversity… there are countless animals in shelters that miss out on good homes because breeders are selfish proclaiming to love dogs and are furthuring certain breeds when in all actuality its an excuse to grow an already out of control population

Jill Greff
10 years ago

so if all the responsible breeders stopped breeding tomorrow do you think the problem would be solved? NO because responsible breeders aren’t the problem.  And the folks who ARE the problem won’t stop breeding the world will be left with unadoptable, unhealthy dogs.

Julie Masterson
Julie Masterson
Reply to  Jill Greff

Yes, you are an idiot. There are enough dogs alive at this moment for every person, man, woman and child of every age ON THE PLANET, to each have Four. That’s 🐶🐶🐶🐶!

K. Pitt
K. Pitt
Reply to  Axstopyro

But the thing is I want non shedding dogs that are small bc I have a small home, and are calm. I get to have the dog I want whether you approve of it or not, Mr. My way or the highway. Geesh!

TMB
TMB
Reply to  K. Pitt

K Pitt: I know what you mean. I too live in an apartment with no garden and have a slight allergy, so I got myself a little Bichon Frise. I got him from a responsible breeder and he is doing very well so far. One always needs to get a dog that fits into one’s environment and has a character that also works for the owner (for example: Bichon Frise are great for people who have never owned a dog before, as they are very bright and easy to train). Therefore it is totally fine to get one from a respectable breeder. 🙂 Greets

Dylan
Dylan
Reply to  K. Pitt

Then go to the humane society and get a small, short haired dog. Jeez

Alison
Alison
1 year ago
Reply to  K. Pitt

K. Pitt – get a yorkie! I’ve had a lot of different dogs growing up & my yorkie is by far the smartest, best dog I’ve EVER had. She’ll be 9 in July and she’s still extremely active and playful.

Latasha Floyd
Latasha Floyd
10 years ago

I have 5 bullies 4 red nose an 1 blue they all are diff 2 are rescue I have always had the bully breed it’s my favorite but they need to be trained for your protection an others when there born they will show signs of what they will become some are laid back an some are trouble makers that’s why it’s important to train an socialize your pets as soon as there born  that’s all breeds my blue bully is in the house with my 3 kids a cat an a little dog an guess who the mean 1 is the little dog (case in point bad owner good dog this dog is doing what it’s breed for do your homework before you buy 1 an don’t buy from a dumb breed)

TobyandDizzy Austin
10 years ago

Irresponsible owners such as this guy can come up with more reasons and excuses to explain away their own ignorant behavior.  This moron was given every warning  and precaution from day one, yet he chose to ignore the advice. Shock collar!!! Gimme a break…  Luckily for Caspar, the judge appears to have a heart.  However, I really wish the owner was admonished severely and ordered to be neutered, get training and wear a muzzle ALWAYS.  The poor dog is NOT the problem…

Jessica Swaim Harding
10 years ago

wow! this owner really must’ve buried his head in the sand on this one. i also have a bully breed that  began showing signs of similar bad behavior when we moved; and you know what we did we decided to correct this. yes, its a long hard road to do things the right way but these behaviors cannot be ignored. if he realy cared for his dog he would have listened to victoria… your dogs are a reflection of you and if your dog begins having behavior issues you need to evaluate yourself and you’re actions before you even think about the dogs.

Boxerbuddy4
Boxerbuddy4
10 years ago

We have a pitbull mix rescue dog who was neutered as a puppy. She will happily flip on her back to get a tummy rub from old and new friends. She knows where her toys are and will drop one in your lap when she wants to play. When she was a small puppy and would try to teeth on us, we taught her to give “kisses” and it worked. She is happy, bubbly and a wonderful pet. I don’t know why anyone would not train their dog or not have it neutered.

David Foskey
David Foskey
10 years ago

dog is a better friend of man

Sisilily
Sisilily
2 years ago

Idiot I hate the man he should have learned his lesson poor Casper i’m so glad that the judge spared his life if I had just read that he died I would’ve gone in tears even though I didn’t know Casper or Eric just …… you know the owner is a complete moron and idiot I hope he reads the comments here and it’s me or the dog

Nyancat111
Nyancat111
2 years ago

I totally agree. Why would anyone buy a dog they know will be aggressive and strong and then not even neuter it!!?? The boy is an idiot. NEUTER YOUR DOGS AND TRAIN THEM!!!

Last edited 2 years ago by Nyancat111
Rodney Saunders
Rodney Saunders
2 years ago

Why are all these people calling this dog a “bully” … it’s not a pit Bull at all . It doesn’t even look like a pit

Alice
Alice
2 years ago

In the show you could see how fast Casper picked up the training and how sweet he could be. He had so much potential to grow into an amazing dog. It’s sad that the stupid child of an owner didn’t follow up with it. He believed in dominating and shocking Casper. He got the dog to look ‘cool’. Well, I don’t blame Casper for acting out. Glad his life was spared and I hope he will find a better home with people who actually care for him and not just want him for his looks.

DOG FILES

Top Posts

More Articles...

Find out why over 8000 dog lovers have already joined!

Receive our newsletter, get special deals & stay updated.

DOG FILES Newsletter!

Food & Treats

Toys & Training

Beds & Essentials

Health & Grooming

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x

Why haven't You Signed up For our Newsletter?

Find out why over 8000 Dog lovers have already Joined!

Receive our newsletter, get special deals & stay updated.