Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin

FDA Looks Into Maker Of Real Ham Bones Treats For Dogs After Complaints

Click to join our Facebook Fan Page and follow us on Twitter!


Jacques Von Lunen For OregonLive.com

The Food and Drug Administration has launched an investigation of a manufacturer of dog treats after consumers reported that splinters from the treats injured or even killed their dogs.

The treat in question is Real Ham Bones, a hickory-smoked pork femur distributed by Missouri company Dynamic Pet Products.

A story on consumeraffairs.com quotes several dog owners whose pooches became violently ill after chewing the bony treat. Two of the customers quoted in the story said their dogs died; others said their dogs needed surgery or became very ill.

The company’s Web site states: “Not recommended for aggressive chewers — we recommend they eat a Beef Bone. As with all natural bones, we recommend supervision during eating.”

The FDA is reportedly investigating the product’s safety. To report problems with this product — or any other FDA-regulated product — in Oregon, call 800-353-3965.


Subscribe
Notify of
guest
13 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Peggy Helling King
12 years ago

i live in washington mo. wherre they manufacture them,its so sad after i seen the news about the animals deaths. my husband n i bought them for our dogs alot and they loved them……but after the last time we did our weiner dog died suddenly……..we werent sure why and didnt havent his body examined unfortunatly. but now we know in our hearts…this is probably what happened to our lil guy. please people do not give these to ur dogs……if we had known there were other cases we never would have given them to our dogs and then we still would of had our lil freddy. 🙁

Kim
Kim
12 years ago

I bought one and threw it away, thanks for this post, I have a German Shepherd and would never do anything to harm her.

Dshevack
Dshevack
10 years ago
Reply to  Kim

I literally just gave one to my dog and after reading this I jumped up and threw it out.. I feel bad because she thinks she did something wrongbut I gave her another bone instead..why in the hell would Petsmart still sell them?

Sparrow's Mom
Sparrow's Mom
12 years ago

Lots of dogs have become ill from eating smoked ham bones. This company is not unique in making this product. You need to find the right size and type of bone for your dog. The following are some ways to reduce the risk.

All bones can be dangerous. A good rule of thumb is to never let your dog ingest pieces bigger than a grain of rice and opt for fresh raw bones or fresh lightly smoked bones from a local farm (often seen hanging in a mesh bag on a drying rack in your small local pet store). Always take away bones that have become dried out, as they have a much higher chance of splintering. Grocery stores and mass merchants usualy sell bones that are wrapped in plastic and have been sitting around in warehouses. They have already started drying out. Dogs love bones, but buyers beware.

Folks@DailyGrommet
11 years ago

Kudos to those investigating the safeness of these products. As consumers we should really be aware of just how/where our products are being made. Sad to think of the harm caused here.

Lisa Kangas
Lisa Kangas
11 years ago

We bought those for our dogs, they got very sick. We took two of them to our vet. Thankfully one vomited all of hers out. With our other dog it was either induce vomiting or “hope” the stuff would pass through without needing surgery. We opted to induce vomiting. It worked. We were lucky that none of the sharp splinters cut them internally. I’m surprised that didn’t happen after seeing the shards of bone they had ingested. I will never purchase those bones ever again. I hope somebody makes the manufacturer resposible for making dangerous products!

Diane
Diane
10 years ago

I live in NY and 6 months ago my puggle had a similar situation. She ate one of these bones and it splintered. We came home from work and found 10 piles of vomit all of which were bloody and had bone fragments and shards in it. Fortunately she was ok as she did get all the shards out by vomiting. But it was scary. We no longer give her any bone that has any potential to splinter. Though they warn supervision during consumption they also tote that the bone does not splinter. I hope they make the changes necessary to ensure that these bones are safe. Though I will never trust that they will so I won’t ever buy these types of bones again.

Vonisskgsd
Vonisskgsd
10 years ago

I just wanted to add my friend and I have German Shepherds.  She bought one of these bones at Tractor Supply and gave it to her dog Melody.  She got very ill and had to be tasken to the vet.  2 days and $500 later she had to be put down because of the damage the splinters had done.  I would never buy them again.  When that happened I had some here and took them back and told them why I was bringing them back.  After that incident I am very picky what the dogs gets to chew on.

Irelandgirl58@
10 years ago

Anyone who has a really good vet (like mine) will have been told NEVER give your dog chicken or PORK bones. Have you not been this by your vet? My vet recommends not giving them cooked beef bones either. ALL bones splinter. Some more than others. My dog gets rawhide roll or cheweze. Never had a problem with them.

Waitressinthesky
Waitressinthesky
10 years ago

Bought one as a treat for my poor little pitbull… she’s a tiny little girl (full-grown), and after reading all these horror stories, I was scared to death her body wouldn’t be able to handle it. Thankfully, she’s been pooping out the shards without incident (I go through her feces with a glove to ensure she’s really passing it), and hasn’t vomited or showed signs of internal bleeding. These MUST be removed from shelves. I bought one at the H-E-B and had no idea they were so dangerous. Will never buy her a real bone again… my little baby.

Lizaw2167
Lizaw2167
10 years ago

who are the makers of these bones?  Is it clearly posted as pork bones?

Sparrow's Mom
Sparrow's Mom
12 years ago

Lots of dogs have become ill from eating smoked ham bones. This company is not unique in making this product. You need to find the right size and type of bone for your dog. The following are some ways to reduce the risk.

All bones can be dangerous. A good rule of thumb is to never let your dog ingest pieces bigger than a grain of rice and opt for fresh raw bones or fresh lightly smoked bones from a local farm (often seen hanging in a mesh bag on a drying rack in your small local pet store). Always take away bones that have become dried out, as they have a much higher chance of splintering. Grocery stores and mass merchants usualy sell bones that are wrapped in plastic and have been sitting around in warehouses. They have already started drying out. Dogs love bones, but buyers beware.

Sparrow's Mom
Sparrow's Mom
12 years ago

Lots of dogs have become ill from eating smoked ham bones. This company is not unique in making this product. You need to find the right size and type of bone for your dog. The following are some ways to reduce the risk.

All bones can be dangerous. A good rule of thumb is to never let your dog ingest pieces bigger than a grain of rice and opt for fresh raw bones or fresh lightly smoked bones from a local farm (often seen hanging in a mesh bag on a drying rack in your small local pet store). Always take away bones that have become dried out, as they have a much higher chance of splintering. Grocery stores and mass merchants usualy sell bones that are wrapped in plastic and have been sitting around in warehouses. They have already started drying out. Dogs love bones, but buyers beware.

SUBSCRIBE TO
DOG FILES

Top Posts

More Articles...

Find out why over 8000 dog lovers have already joined!

Receive our newsletter, get special deals & stay updated.

Sign Up For the
DOG FILES Newsletter!

Food & Treats

Toys & Training

Beds & Essentials

Health & Grooming

13
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x