Ventura County Police Dog Accidentally Inhales Meth
VENTURA, Calif. — A police dog for the Ventura County Sheriff’s Department is recovering after he ingested a toxic amount of methamphetamine during a drug search.
Officials say Balu, a 4 1/2-year-old German shepard, was rushed to an emergency veterinarian clinic early Monday after suffering a seizure following a narcotics search in Moorpark.
About two hours earlier, the dog alerted his partner, senior Deputy Dean Worthy, to an area where a torn bag of methamphetamine was found. It’s believed the dog inhaled the drugs during the search.
When the dog began convulsing, Worthy rushed the animal to the clinic for treatment.
Worthy says Balu seems to be doing o.k.
The dog is expected to make a full recovery.