Dog pulled from explosion

NEW MEXICO — On Wednesday, rescue crews pulled a family dog from a house that had exploded the night before.

The house itself is in pieces.

“Complete devastation. I’m shocked at the amount of damage,” said Tom Aurnhammer with Los Pinos Fire Protection.

Officials believe a propane leak caused the house to explode.

Tim and Karen Kelley were inside the home with their 9-year-old daughter Cameron when it happened.

“Units arrived…actually met up with an employee from Mesa Propane who had removed the young lady here from the scene,” Aurnhammer said.

Cameron, with a broken leg, crawled out of the demolished house and into her dad’s car.

Her parents were still inside.

Officials worked quickly to pull them out.

“They were trapped by the fallen debris,” said Aurnhammer.

During the middle of our interview crews pulled something else out of the rubble.

“The family dog has been missing since last night and was apparently in the garage at the time of the explosion,” he said.

After being trapped for more than 16 hours, Rocco was pulled to safety.

“The dog is alive. He’s been removed from the structure,” said Aurnhammer.

Rocco is listed in serious condition at River View Animal Hospital.

Officials said finding the dog alive, was nothing short of miraculous.

The two adults were flown to the University of Colorado Hospital in Denver and the young girl remains at Mercy Regional Medical Center.

All of them are expected to recover.

Rocco is being treated for multiple injuries. Veterinarians said the next 24 hours are critical.