If you like The Dog Files please join our Facebook Fan Page at http://www.facebook.com/dogfiles

Also, follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/dogfiles


Many pet owners are well aware of the danger antifreeze presents when it comes to our pets. Not only is it poisonous but once consumed, the likelihood of your pet surviving becomes very slim.

The issue with antifreeze is the attractive sweet smell and taste that lures not only animals but children as well. This deadly substance is estimated to cause 1,400 children and 10,000 animal poisonings each year.

The Humane Society of the United States and the Humane Society Legislative Fund are praising the New Jersey Senate after approving the bill that will not only save countless animal lives as well as reducing the amount of childhood poisoning each year. This bill will include the requirement of adding an intensely bitter agent into the antifreeze and coolant sold in the state that will render the products unpalatable.

“Poisoning occurs with antifreeze because it is often inadvertently spilled in our driveways or left in open containers in our garages,” said Sara Amundson, executive director of the HSLF. “We’re very grateful to Senator Van Drew for his leadership on this important piece of legislation which should help prevent many unnecessary deaths every year.”

New Jersey will become the 10th state to pass this bill after the governor’s signature. Other states where HSLF has worked with in passing similar legislations are: Arizona, California, Maine, New Mexico, Oregon, Tennessee, Virginia, Vermont and Washington. Bills are pending in Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Ohio.

With this the new law set, we truly hope our curious companions will no longer seek out this deadly treat.